Saturday, June 2, 2012

Final Meta Post

   My favorite post this quarter was titled "Stuck in Limbo". I chose this blog because I feel that it shows my growth overall as a blogger throughout the year. One reason stems from the fact that it ties in with my junior theme topic, race/class in college admissions, which has become a topic I have been very interested in. It is now a great feeling when new media comes out relating to my junior theme topic, and I get to connect my own research to it. This particular blog was on waitlists for colleges, and I found the article while reading the Chicago Tribune. As I have learned in the past, it is a lot easier to write a blog when you feel connected to the issue at hand.

    The article was packed with great statistics and quotes regarding the purpose of waitlists and also the truth behind your chances of getting in. I feel this is a strong blog because I was able to use part of my junior theme interview to enhance the argument. In this case Mr. Conroy helped explain to me which types of kids get on the waitlists and why. Aside from being able to incorporate his words, I feel I have become a lot better at analyzing the language which is something I struggled with early on. I also add my own ideas instead of just summarizing the article. In this blog for example I bring up the idea of false hope behind waitlists and use that idea to transition from the purpose of waitlists to the actual cold hard facts.

      Lastly, I feel that I chose a picture that applies to the subject area. In this blog, it is a sort of cartoon that emphasizes the depressing truth behind waitlists, that you are just a number and are apart of a group that will not get off the list. In the picture the kid appears to be at the top, but in reality he is just like everyone else trapped in this limbo stage. Overall I have thoroughly enjoyed blogging this year, and feel that it has helped me look at issues through many different lenses.
  

1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly researched, Fresh. Great idea to include the interview -- makes it more relatable, especially in our own school. But I think the question might attempt to address larger American themes beyond "is it fair?". What does this waitlist phenom say about Americans and the class system? You hinted at that...

    ReplyDelete